Pivot tables (similar to Excel Pivot Table) are an effective visualization that allows you to present a large amount of information in one table.
Holistics helps you to generate detailed pivot table visualizations that summarize your data based on the ‘Rows’, ‘Columns’ and ‘Measures’ pivot area parameters that you specify, using a simple field drag and drop interface.
How To Build: Pivot Table
Run your report SQL query to return all the needed dimensions and measures field columns. We specify the data types of the columns within the 'Format Columns' section of the Report Editor.
- In this example, we have 5 columns, with the 'City' and 'Year' columns as string data types, and the 'Total', 'Sold' and 'Success %' columns as number data types of various formats.
- Pivot tables are able to accept multiple data types, depending upon the dimensions and measures you are building the table with.
Access the Visualization Editor at the bottom of the Report Editor screen, and select the 'Pivot Table' option button. Drag and drop the relevant fields to their appropriate pivot area.
- In this example, the ‘Rows’ pivot area used the ‘City’ field,
- The ‘Columns’ pivot area used the ‘Year’ field
- and the ‘Measures’ pivot area used the ‘Total’, ‘Sold’ and ‘Success %’ fields.
Holistics will then generate your pivot table along the specified dimensions and measures.
For advanced use cases, the Holistics pivot table feature is able to perform even more complex pivots on even more dimensions and measures.
As shown here, this pivot table was generated using 2 ‘Rows’ dimension fields of ‘City’ and ‘Category’, 2 ‘Columns’ dimension fields of ‘Year’ and ‘Quarter’, and 3 ‘Measures’ fields of ‘Total’, ‘Sold’ and ‘Success %’.