What is a data format?
When working with tables and charts, you have options to format your data field to suit your display needs, for example: format numbers as currencies, percentage, format dates as weeks, month...
A data format contains 2 components: Data Type + Formatting.
For each of the value, the first thing we need to decide is their "data type", from there we will choose their respective "formatting". There are 4 main data types:
Holistics supports 2 text format: String and HTML. HTML is a special format type can read HTML tags in your string field and render the content of that field. You can make use of it to include images in your table, or turn strings into hyper links.
Holistics supports 2 primary number format: Normal number and Currency:
- Normal Number: By default, your number data type will be using this format (with comma as the thousands separator). However, you can change it to no format, percent or specify the number of digits after the decimal point.
- Currency: Holistics currently supports 27 currencies:
- US Dollar ($)
- Euro (€)
- Yen (¥)
- Pound (£)
- Franc (Fr)
- Renminbi (元)
- Lira (₺)
- Won (₩)
- RUS Ruble (₽)
- IND Rupee (₹)
- PAK Rupee (₨)
- MEX Peso ($)
- PHL Peso (₱)
- AUS Dollar (A$)
- CAN Dollar (C$)
- SGP Dollar (S$)
- NZ Dollar (NZ$)
- HK Dollar (HK$)
- Shekel (₪)
- Real (R$)
- Krona (kr)
- Forint (Ft)
- Thai Baht (฿)
- Rupiah (Rp)
- Ringgit (RM)
- VN Dong (VND)
- BGD Taka (Tk)
- ZAR (R)
Date and Datetime
Date represents just a Date (no time portion) while
Datetime shows both a date and time value. You can change them to week, month, quarter or year as your preference.
A Boolean value of either a True or False. We do not support formatting for this type of data at this moment.
Setting data format
In Holistics, you can set a field’s data format in the Visualization panel or in Data Modeling. Please note that different Data Types will have different Data Format.
In visualization panel, go to FORMAT. Here you can specify the data type and the data format for any field you drag into visualization settings.
You will be able to reuse the same data format of a field across all reports if you define its format in the data modeling layer.
For example, if you set the format of your field Revenue to $, it will always be displayed with the $ symbol as a prefix.
Holistics supports setting data format for Number and Date type fields.
To change the data format of a Number or Date type field:
- Head to Data Modeling > Data Models, click on a Number or Date field.
- Click on the drop-down box in Format, and choose a format value from the suggested options.
You can also customize the format you need by clicking on More Custom Format.
For Number-type fields, you can customize:
- Abbreviation: Shorten long numbers by adding suffixes K, M, or B and dividing the number by 1000, 1 000 000 or 1 000 000 000 respectively.
- Decimal places: Specify how many numbers are displayed to the right of the decimal point.
- Separator style: Specify what separator to use (comma or dot), and the function of the separator (decimal point or thousand separators)
- Currency: Adding a prefixed symbol of any currency
- Percentage: Adding the symbol % to the right of the number or convert that number to percentage.
For Date-type field, you can customize:
- Date style: Specify a date style that matches your local style
- Separator style: Specify the separator between the time units
If you need help with setting data format or want to request a new data format, please fill in the form below. Thank you!