What is Filter
Filter is component to be added to the dashboard to let end-users (viewers) filter down (control/restrict) the data displayed. When interacting with a dashboard filter (selecting operators, filter values...), a final condition will be applied to the widgets that use the filter.
Structure of a filter
- Operator: specify the comparison type, for example IS, IS NOT...
- Value: the value of the filter. The value you can select/input depends on the data type of the filter.
- Modifier (optional): only available for some of the operators in Date filter (for example,
Please follow the links for more details about each type of filter
- Field Filters: Filters of this type get values from a field available in a Dataset
- Manual-input Filters: Filters that requires you to manually input filter values. These include:
Add filters to a dashboard
In Dashboard editor view, create filters by clicking the funnel icon along the top right corner.
A modal will pop up for you to start setting up the filter:
- Filter Label: required
- Filter Types: Select from the list of filter types. If you select Field type, you will be prompted to select the model field you want to get data from
- Default value: (Optional) Specify the default operator and value you want to apply to the widgets when you open the dashboard.
After setting up a filter, you need to map it to the widgets and the field that will be filtered on.
- Field filters will be automatically mapped to the widgets that use the same Dataset
- Manual-input filters need to be manually mapped to widgets and fields.
Filters can only be mapped to the fields of the same data type.
Click "Submit" to finish creating a filter.
By default, in dashboards or data explorations, when a user enters a value in a text filter, Holistics will suggest options that match what the user enters.
The suggestions are generated by running SELECT DISTINCT query on the dimension. We fetch 100K distinct values of the field and cache the result, any permission rules for the user would be applied as well.
Initially, we show 200 records in the suggestion dropdown. As user types in, we will search on the cached result on our own cache to optimize performance. The cache duration is 8 hours by default.
Other functionalities (coming soon)
- Enable/disable filter suggestions
- Set filter suggestion cache