Table Model is a data model created directly from an existing database table. This is like an abstract representation of your underlying table which you can easily manipulate, annotate, add custom dimensions and measures. Withi Table Models, you can extend on the original data without affecting the physical table.
The goal of creating table models is to make an existing SQL table available in the Holistics modeling layer.
Creating Table Model
To create Table Models, at the Data Modeling page, click Create (or the + button next to the folders on the left panel) → Add Data Model From Database Table
The model structure will reflect the table structure:
- Columns in the table will be added into models as Base Dimensions.
- Data type of the table columns will be scanned and mapped to one of Holistics's data types.
Refreshing Table Model
If there are any changes in the schema of the underlying table (columns are deleted, renamed, or added...), you can refresh the model to reflect the changes.
When refreshing a model, take note:
- If the Database Table has new columns added/removed, corresponding fields will also be added to/removed from the model.
- If any columns got renamed in the Database Table, the corresponding fields in the model will be replaced by new fields.
- If a column's data type is changed, the data type of the corresponding field will also change.
- For now, if the underlying Database Table is renamed or removed, the model will be broken and you have to manually re-create the model.