What is Drill-through
With data drill-through, Holistics' customers can explore additional data related to one or more data in the original report.
When we use drill-through, we right-click on a data point from any widget and navigate to a target dashboard to get details that are filtered to that context.
For example, we are looking at the total revenue of the T-shirt in New York. We might wonder what the customer demographic and their contact info are. With drill-through, we can easily navigate to that data with a click.
In Holistics, drill-through is the process of linking many source dashboard [S] to one target dashboard [T] that contains information relevant to all the sources.
- Source dashboard: the dashboard that contains the generic data that we want to explore further. In our example, the
Category analysisdashboard is the source dashboard, the generic data is the revenue of New York.
- Target dashboard: the dashboard that contains more specific information that provides us with a more detailed understanding. In our example, the
Customer Demographicsdashboard is the target dashboard, the customer emails, age groups, and gender distribution are detailed information.
Technically, we are creating a filter (Filter X, Y, Z) at the target dashboard that can take the value of any field (
field_b) from any dataset (
Then, whenever we want to drill through from any source dashboard (that contains those fields), we will be navigated to the target dashboard where that field's value is applied as a filter (Filter X = DSa.field_a, Filter Y = DSb.field_b, Filter Z = DSa.field_b)
- We create a filter of Category Name and City Name at the target dashboard
Customer Demographicso that they can take the value of T-Shirts (as category) and New York (as city).
- When we click on the revenue column of T-shirts in New York from
Category Analysis, we will navigate to the dashboard that contains customer demographics and information that buys T-shirts in New York.
How to set up Drill-through in Holistics
To start setting up drill-through, navigate to the target dashboard and edit the filters we want to enable drill-through to. Toggle "Enable drill-through" on.
Since Holistics only supports drill-through for fields in the same dataset at the moment, it automatically assumes that the field you are setting up is also the source field so you will not have to connect them manually.
How to use drill-through
Go to the source dashboard and right-click on the data point that has been set as our drill-through filter. In our example, right-click on New York.
A drill option menu will show up. Click on any option to navigate to the target dashboard.
After we navigate to the target dashboard, we can continue to drill through to another target dashboard (if any) or explore the current data.
- If we drill through to another target dashboard, use the left/right arrow icon on the top right to go back and forth between dashboards.
- Also, we can share, download, or go to the main dashboard view to edit it by clicking on the corresponding icons.
What do you think about our data drill-through? If you want to share some feedback, feel free to let us know! We'll get back to you asap!