Date Drill allows viewers to quickly change the time granularity (year, quarter, month, week, day, hour, minute) of reports.
This feature is helpful in helping you zoom out of the details to identify a trend, or look closely at day-to-day operations.
How to use Date Drill
There are two ways to use Date Drill: using Report Date Drill or Dashboard Date Drill.
1. Report Date Drill
There are two ways to use Report Date Drill
- Simply right-click on the report > select Date Drill > select the time granularity.
- Hover on the report you want to Date Drill > select the Date Drill options under the report name > select the time granularity.
- With report Date Drill, you change the time granularity of one single report at a time.
2. Dashboard Date Drill
This feature is currently in beta. Contact us so we can enable this feature for you.
- Click on the Date Drill drop-down on the right of the sticky panel > select the time granularity.
- With Dashboard Date Drill, you change the time granularity of all reports in the dashboard that meet the requirements specified in Date Drill requirements.
Date Drill requirements
There are two requirements for Date Drill to work:
- The report must contain a date field in the X-axis/Legend (depending on the chart type)
- The report must be created from one of the following visualization types:
When using Date Drill, the viewer is actually changing the date transformation of the date field in the report, without having to change it inside the Dataset Exploration view.
Date Drill provides a temporary view of the data by different time levels. Therefore, if the viewer refreshes the dashboard, the report that they previously used Date Drill on will revert to the default date transformation (set by the report creator in Visualization Settings).
Users of all user roles can use Dashboard Date Drill and Report Date Drill on internal dashboards (signed in using their Holistics accounts), embedded dashboards or dashboards shared via shareable links.
Q: What if I have two date dimensions in the same table?
A: The date drill will be applied to the first date dimension it detects, usually the one in the left-most column.
That's all for Date Drill. If you have any feedback for this feature, please let us know!